"Workcamps" are organised and run by one or more of EDA’s projects in conjunction with Reledev Australia Limited, a non-profit, voluntary and AusAID accredited NGO (www.reledev.org.au).
Workcamps have been held across the Pacific Rim, parts of Asia and at several Aboriginal communities within Australia. These volunteer service projects aim to contribute towards the immediate welfare and sustainable development of the various communities.
This initiative started in 1987 with the intention to serve people in need in developing countries and disadvantaged communities within Australia. Workcamps also aim to encourage the generosity and sense of solidarity of young Australians.
Workcamp participants meet their own accommodation and travel expenses in addition to contributing towards the project cost. Participants are also involved in seeking donations or sponsorship from companies and individuals to cover the remaining costs.
Workcamps usually run twice per year, during the summer and winter holidays. The most recent workcamp was held in January 2009 in Phu My Orphanage in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Volunteers refurbished educational infrastructure and provided training to teachers and volunteers.
For information contact the workcamp director on the details below or email
The Workcamp Director
26 Archer Street
Chatswood NSW 2067
Tel: (02) 9411 2836
Fax: (02) 9411 2902
- 1987 - Lae, Papua New Guinea
- 1988 - Pekina, South Australia
- 1989 - Nuku'alofa, Tonga
- 1990 - Lipa, Philippines
- 1991 - Cebu, Philippines
- 1992 - Western Samoa
- 1993 - Western Samoa
- 1994 - La Grange, Western Australia
- 1994 - Broome, Western Australia
- 1995 - Pinatubo, Philippines
- 1996 - Santa Teresa, Northern Territory
- 1997 - Flores Island, Indonesia
- 1998 - Navunibitu, Fiji
- 1999 - Alotau, Papua New Guinea
- 2000 - Santa Teresa, Northern Territory
- 2001 - Nuku'alofa, Tonga
- 2003 - Vutia, Fiji
- 2003 - Vanuatu
- 2004 - Balgo, Western Australia
- 2004 - Maggona, Sri Lanka
- 2004 - Balgo, Western Australia (2)
- 2005 - Naililili, Fiji
- 2005 - Navunibitu, Fiji
- 2006 - Mindoro, Philippines
- 2007 - Mekong Delta, Vietnam
- 2008 - Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- 2008 - Meru, Kenya
- 2009 - Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- 2009 – Blora, Indonesia
- 2010 – Vuake, Fiji